Winner of the 2005-2006 American
Scholastic Press Association Literary Magazine Competition
Welcome to The Chimes, a literary magazine published annually by Shorter University in Rome, Georgia, since 1879.
Faculty Co-Advisors: Renee Emerson and Angie O'Neal
Editor-in-Chief: Courtney Clifton
The magazine accepts submissions in the categories of photography, art, non-fiction prose, poetry, and short stories.
The Chimes offers writers of poetry and short stories a chance to compete for cash prizes in the annual creative writing contest. Additionally, The Chimes offers awards for artwork. While all submissions will be considered for publication, prizes will only be awarded to students enrolled at Shorter University.
The Chimes Guidelines for Submissions
- Submissions must be typed.
- For written work, the writer’s name along with the title of the work should be attached to the entry as a cover letter. Each submission should be on a separate page. The author's name should not appear on any other page except the cover letter.
- For students: name (first and last), mailing address (on or off-campus), email address, permanent phone number, titles of all submissions, hometown, school classification and major.
- For faculty and staff: name (first and last), campus mailing address, email address, campus extension, titles of all submissions, position.
- For others: name (first and last), mailing address, email address, job position/title and hometown.
- We no longer accept original artwork. All artwork must be digitally photographed. For more information about this, contact Angie O'Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please limit your submissions to 12 poems and 4 short stories or short essays. Up to five pieces of artwork may be submitted.
- Poetry should be no more than 21 lines. Short stories and essays should not exceed 2 pages, typed and single-spaced.
- The Chimes accepts artwork, poems, short stories, and non-fiction from students, faculty, alumni, and outside contributors, but all submissions must be original. Plagiarism, whether accidental or purposeful, is unacceptable.
- Submissions are accepted throughout the school year. The deadline for submissions to the 2012-2013 issue of The Chimes will be Monday, January 7, 2013.
- Please email your submissions to email@example.com.
- For further questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in working on the magazine’s staff, please let us know that as well!
BACK TO HUMANITIES HOME