Download the Excused Absences template>
For employees to submit a Shorter Excused Absence:
Faculty, staff, coaches submit lists to their respective dean/VP for approval, who email the list to email@example.com.
If you are responsible for a Shorter-sponsored function that causes students to miss class (athletic games, concerts, conference presentations, etc.)
As soon as you know the list of students – must be prior to the absence
1. Use the exact Shorter Excused Excel spreadsheet template. Do not modify the columns or formatting or it will not process. Include all information the template requires: student name, ID number, reason for absence, etc. Submit separate lists if any dates/times differ. Click here to download the spreadsheet>
2. Prior to the absence, email the spreadsheet attachment to your dean/VP for approval
3. The dean/VP emails all approved lists to firstname.lastname@example.org
When a Shorter student receives a Shorter Excused Absence:
- Lists are typically processed on a weekly basis. If lists are submitted at least two days before the absence, professors should receive notification in advance of the absence. If accurate rosters are submitted with ample advance notice, those lists will be posted in advance as well.
- Instructors will receive an email from the Provost’s Office with the most updated Shorter Excused list. The following message will accompany each updated list: “ This email includes all Shorter Excused lists received and processed as of today, xx/xx/xx. Faculty may search this file by group, date or student, etc. to confirm that a student has missed class for a Shorter-sponsored event. Lists are organized by month in tabs at the bottom and currently sorted in chronological order by group. If a specific group, organization or sport is not listed in the spreadsheet, then a list has not been submitted for inclusion this semester.”
- Unfortunately, instructors will no longer receive an email for each course including a list of students affected because Moodle is unable to display this information in the attendance section.
- Make up work: The Shorter University Catalog states, “Making up all work missed because of absences is the responsibility of the student.” Because Shorter Excused absences are known in advance, classroom procedures can require advance make-up accommodations as well. Please note that instructors handle Shorter Excused absences on an individual basis, and it is the responsibility of the student to understand and comply with these individual policies.
- These procedures are campus-wide; please help us remain consistent and current. Last spring more than 2,300 Shorter Excused requests were processed. Your help and cooperation makes it work!