Dr. Alan Douglas Hix
Associate Professor of Christian Studies
Associate Director of the Excavations at Kursi
Office: Sheffield-Thompson, 1st floor
- Ph.D. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- Additional Graduate Work in Archaeology: Univ. of South Florida; NOBTS
- M.Div. New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.S. Shorter College (now Shorter University)
- Survey of Old Testament
- Survey of New Testament
- Johannine Literature
- Pauline Literature
- Dead Sea Scrolls
- Synoptic Gospels
- Life and Teaching of Jesus
- Archaeology, History, and Religion in Ancient Israel
- Christianity and Islam
- Congregational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Preaching and Public Worship
- History of Christianity
- Baptist History
- Research and Writing Senior Capstone
- World Religions
- Christianity and Global Relitions
- Introduction to Christian Theology
- Introduction to the Christian Bible
- Learning Community Seminar
- Associate Pastor
- Minister of Music
- Youth Minister
- Conference Speaker
- RA Camp Pastor
- Mission Team Leader for Students in Short-term Missions (Alaska and Canada)
- Strategic Ministry Consultant for Churches
Additional Academic Experience:
- Assistant Professor of Religion – Louisiana College
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs – Louisiana College
- Director of Church Relations – Louisiana College
- Acting Director, Central Louisiana Center -- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies and Biblical Archaeology, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- Instructor of Theology, Truett-McConnell College
- Instructor of Religion, William Carey University
- Mid-East Study Abroad Program – Shorter University
- Mid-East Study Abroad Program – Louisiana College
- Area Supervisor with Samford University’s Expedition to Shihkin, Israel
- Area Supervisor with the University of South Florida’s Excavations at Sepphoris, Israel
- Associate Director of the Excavations at Kursi, Israel
- Instructor- Jerusalem Institute for Biblical Exploration
- Contributed to the article, “Spontaneous Baptism: Have 21st Century ‘Spontaneous Baptisms’ Recaptured the Spirit of 1st Century New Testament Baptisms?” The Christian Index, November 4, 2010 (Vol. 189 No. 22)
- “When Society Abandons Godly Ways” (2 Kings 22:1-5; 23:2-4, 24-27). The Christian Index, August 16, 2007 (Vol. 186 No. l7).
- “When Sickness Strikes” (2 Kings 5:1-5,8-16), The Christian Index, August 2, 2007.(Vol. 186 No. 16).
- “When Overcome by Responsibilities” (1 Kings 3:1-15); The Christian Index, July 19, 2007 (Vol. 186 No. 15.
- “When You’re Discouraged” (1 Kings 19:1-18), The Christian Index, August 2, 2007.(Vol. 186 No. 16).
- “Are You Old-Fashioned or New Fangled?” The Carey Pulpit, Spring 2003 (Vol. 20).
- “Finish Strong: Hebrews 12:1-3.” The Carey Pulpit, Fall 2002 (Vol. 19).
- “Substitutes for God: 1 Kings 12:25-33.” The Carey Pulpit, Spring 2002 (Vol. 18)
- “The Cluttered Life: Ecclesiastes 2:1-17”, The Carey Pulpit, Fall 2001 (Vol. 17)
- The Shepherd’s Staff (newsletter), Winter 1999. A Publication of the Office of Church Relations, Louisiana College.
- Second Temple Palestinian Synagogues: Dedicated Structures or Multi-Use Buildings? Prepared for the University of South Florida at Tampa, December 1995. This paper was a result of field research comparing the epigraphy in three major Second Temple inscriptions and from an analysis of the archaeological remains of the synagogues at Masada, Herodium, Migdal, Capernaum, and Gamla. A copy resides in the library of the North Georgia Center of the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Sepphoris: The Ornament of Galilee. Prepared for the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, December 1995. This paper covered the history and background of ancient Sepphoris as well as review of the results of the 1995 Excavations at Sepphoris where I served as an Area Supervisor for the University of South Florida.at Tampa. A copy resides in the library of the North Georgia Center of the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
Resources for the Church
- Church Financial Resources: A Handbook for Financial Ministry, Ed. (unpublished, Prepared for a training conference for church financial officers of the Hatcher Pass Association, Palmer, Alaska - Printed: June 1997).
- Shorter College Alumni Minister of the Year Award, 2008
- Recognition for Five Years of Service in Teaching, Shorter University, 2011
- Recognized at the 2011 Faculty/Staff banquet as having the most positive impact on First-Year Students
- The Society for Biblical Literature
- The American Schools of Oriental Research
- The Israel Exploration Society